Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In utopia

Witopia, actually.

Tonight I installed a virtual proxy network called Witopia, which allows me to circumvent the Great Firewall of China, of which I have only nasty, terrible, downright offensive things to say and therefore will not, for now. For $60 a year, my ISP gets routed through places like -- and I get to choose -- D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Manchester and Hong Kong. In other words, I can access everything from YouTube to Danwei to Slutload.com. I'm not gonna link to that last one -- you can figure out the URL for yourself. No more tying "Korean sofa" into Baidu! (It's now on the second page, btw.)

Witopia works like a charm. My Internet isn't noticeably slower or anything. The installation is complicated enough to keep China's censors chasing (the simplicity of Hotspot probably was its demise) yet easy enough that it doesn't require more than 10 minutes, max. A great deal (and seeing as how quickly the expat community here gobbles up popular proxies and VPNs, there're lots more testimonials if you need them).

No comments: