Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pictures from 6/4 at Tiananmen







I'll have more to say about the day later, but for now check out this NY Times article (just about accurate... the "plainclothes officers, easily identifiable by their similar shirts," were actually a combination of police and civilians from neighborhood watch groups -- you could tell because of their age) and some more photos...


Security was tight...

I was told the Malaysia flags were for some Malaysian head of state who was visiting.


The vans to the far right are police wagons.


You were required to show your passport (very unusual) at the security checkpoints, but only if you were foreign or, in my case (I was with two friends), speaking English. (Best as I could tell, Chinese visitors were waved through without having to show their ID cards, but that may not have been the case at every checkpoint.)


Not sure if the guy with the umbrella is a plainclothes officer or not...

No comments: