- Guo Jingjing, possibly the most famous female Chinese athlete, is
pregnantcompeting in England/has won two gold medals.
- Found in China asks, "Who the hell is Aung San Suu Kyi?" Then answers.
- If this leads to a warming of Chinese-Japanese relations, I'm all for it. Then again, the Chinese like to joke about hating Japan -- it's an innocuous thing, really -- so if this ushers in a new era of political correctness...
- A great entry by Xujun Eberlein, author and proprietor of the blog Inside-Out China (newly added to blogroll), on the meaning and value of heroism.
- Via Sports Illustrated's Mary Nicole Nazzaro, a poem that deserves dissemination. I hope Ms. Nazzaro doesn't mind me reprinting the poem here, as this blog can use a little classing up. I've tweaked the original translation, which was by Alex Tang.
快 Hurry up
抓紧妈妈的手 Grab tight to Mama's hand
去天堂的路 The road to heaven
太黑了 is too dark
妈妈怕你 Mama's afraid you've
碰了头 hit your head
抓紧妈妈的手 Grab tight to Mama’s hand
让妈妈陪你走 Let Mama walk with you
怕 is afraid
天堂的路 Heaven's road
太黑 is too dark
我看不见你的手 I haven't seen your hand
倒塌的墙 the collapsed wall
把阳光夺走 snatched the sunlight away
我再也看不见 I can never again see
你柔情的眸 your loving eyes
你走吧 You can go
前面的路 The road ahead
再也没有忧愁 will contain no more sorrow
没有读不完的课本 no more cumbersome textbooks
和爸爸的拳头 or Baba’s fist
你要记住 You must remember
我和爸爸的摸样 my face and Baba's face
来生还要一起走 Let us walk together into our next life
别担忧 do not worry
天堂的路有些挤 Heaven's road is a bit crowded
有很多同学朋友 with lots of classmates and friends
我们说 We say
不哭 Don’t cry
哪一个人的妈妈都是我们的妈妈 Any mother is all our mothers
哪一个孩子都是妈妈的孩子 Any child is all Mother's children
没有我的日子 In the days without me
你把爱给活的孩子吧 give your love to the children alive
你别哭 Don’t cry
泪光照亮不了 Tears cannot emanate light
我们的路 Our road
让我们自己 lets each of us
慢慢的走 walk slowly
我会记住你和爸爸的模样 I will remember your face and Baba's face
记住我们的约定 Let us remember our promise
来生一起走 to walk together in the next life
Kaila! Jordan! Kevsther!
5 years ago