Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ESPN The Mag again, and the coolest ad ever

Reporting from China's National Day of Mourning.

~

Adidas's TV spot for the Olympics might be the coolest ad I've ever seen. Ever. Certainly the most spine-tingling.

There are two versions floating around, but this is the better of the two, in my opinion. Pictures here, and official adidas press release here.

I know some people, like the commenters in this post, think the commercial resembles old-fashioned propaganda, and others believe it channels "fascist aesthetics," but the only word I'd use is awesome. I mean, if people are disturbed by pencil sketching, what do they make of the ad pictured in this NY Times article?

An example of how eye-catching these adidas ads are: the first time I rode the subway, on my eighth day back, I caught a glimpse of the ads and immediately whipped out the camera. They're really quite stunning.





POSTSCRIPT: I'm beginning to realize why Black and White Cat is popular... I was back-reading posts when I came across this video.

No comments: