Friday, May 16, 2008

Sitting in the Jade Palace Hotel

Jiujiu, the finance manager in the five-star Jade Palace Hotel, used the phrase "pai ma pi" (拍马屁 -- I think) today, which basically means to "suck up."

"With you here, they'll get a chance to pai ma pi to me," Jiujiu said in the car. "I haven't really given them that opportunity yet."

When I asked what that meant, he gave me another phrase, and when I asked what that meant, he rattled off something new, eventually telling me to ask my mom.

The rooms here -- 410 in all -- go for a range of 700 RMB per night to 1,288, if you reserve early. During the Olympics Jiujiu expects that price to go up to 2,688-3,288 RMB. Of course, this doesn't include the 16-room Presidential Suite, which right now goes for about 38,000 RMB (about $5,500).


The above is an example of the sort of writing no one cares about -- I imagine the pictures are more interesting. When I started this blog three weeks ago I had that style in mind: personal, small and insignificant. Along the way, however, I've come to realize how irresponsible it is to broadcast the minutia of everyday life, especially in the face of a world that totters about under the weight of colossal issues such as natural disasters and global warming, seeming like a toddler needing guidance and direction from people like us, journalists, scholars, writers and the like. A personal blog is a dereliction of duty, especially from a journalist. It borders on narcissistic, even though I have no vested interest in my own life outside of living it.

But it is easier, keeping this in journal-form. And I did make a declaration way back when... maybe that'll be my excuse until further notice. Maybe I switch styles after my family's all been introduced, in June or so. There's time yet.

For the moment, you'll have to settle for this commixing of the pedestrian with the grave, a style that'll win me even fewer followers, I believe, but so be it.
  • China Daily: 50,000. (Myanmar cyclone: 43,318.)

  • From the same paper: you just don't see English-language newspaper stories written like this anymore.

  • Simon Winchester in the NY Times: China, innovation and what the hell happened?

  • Pictures from Sichuan: Daily Kos, EastWestSouthNorth, Black and White Cat (incredible).

  • Videos from Shanghaiist.

  • A little dated, but this NY Times column from Thomas Friedman is spot on and worth sharing. Excerpt:

    Our president’s latest energy initiative was to go to Saudi Arabia and beg King Abdullah to give us a little relief on gasoline prices. I guess there was some justice in that. When you, the president, after 9/11, tell the country to go shopping instead of buckling down to break our addiction to oil, it ends with you, the president, shopping the world for discount gasoline.

    We are not as powerful as we used to be because over the past three decades, the Asian values of our parents’ generation — work hard, study, save, invest, live within your means — have given way to subprime values: “You can have the American dream — a house — with no money down and no payments for two years.”


Hopefully you caught the phrase "Asian values." I think that's a fitting usage there.

3 comments:

WLIB said...

I guess that means my father is Asian. This explains so much about my childhood.

Nice work on the blog, Anthony. Please feel free to remain quotidian.

The Jamboree said...

Thank you! When I first read Friedman's piece in the Times, the line about Asian values jumped off the screen - mostly because I'm the one with Asian values, not my parents. What a joke.

Anonymous said...

牵住全面推进改革发展的牛鼻子升降平台 铝合金升降机 液压机械 升降台 数据恢复安信信托等多家公司预告三季度业绩 升降机 RAID数据恢复 北京心理咨询 统一思想突出重点扎实推进确保实效 服务器数据恢复 液压升降机 无缝钢管 中粮等葡萄酒商起诉商评委解百纳之争悬而未决 博客 升降机 Google排名 网站优化警醒学术腐败就要各打五十大板吗 心理咨询 升降机 升降平台 高空作业平台 升降机 升降平台 无缝管 《剑蝶》打造"偶像版"《梁祝》升降平台 弹簧 升降机 升降平台 登车桥 升降机升降机 阿里巴巴:帮助中小企业“过冬”
同声翻译 同声传译 会议设备租赁 同声翻译设备 文件柜 论文发表 同声传译设备租赁 同声传译 表决器租赁 更衣柜 论文发表 会议设备租赁
“番茄门”事件搅成番茄酱

“番茄门”事件搅成番茄酱Gas Alarm,Gas Detector,Breathalyser,Breathalyzer,Alcohol Tester,Co Alarm.Breathalyzer Alcohol TesterGas Alarm Breathalyser Co Alarm Gas Detector Co Detector Alcohol Tester

陈锡文:三农声中说“三最”Cheap WoW Gold, World Of Warcraft Gold,the best WoW PowerLeveling and other MMORPG Power Levelingwow gold wow gold wow gold 电子商务十年磨一剑磨刀霍霍向明天