Monday, March 16, 2009

Burning cigarettes as anti-something statement

From today's China Daily, everybody's favorite newspaper:


Those are fake cigarettes they're burning in Henan, and not because cigarettes are, you know, harmful to your health. (This reminds me of a sign I saw in a Chengdu garden once: "Please consider not smoking due to harmful to your health." Yes, please consider indeed.) They're burning fake cigarettes -- operative word here being "fake" -- because it's World Consumers Rights Day, and heavens forbid one buys fake nicotine that isn't addictive...

POSTSCRIPT: Did I really write, "Arise, meadowlark at dawn, arise all you kin in my journey through this God-given gift" in my last post? I mean, really... usually these sort of sentences don't make it past my censors. In any case, please note that I used an excessive amount of exclamation marks, and that there's a reason.

No comments: