Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy birthday to Nainai


Nainai is second from the right

It's been a while since I've mentioned her in this space, but my grandma -- paternal, so nainai in Chinese -- recently celebrated her birthday in Beijing, attended by a group of 25 or so family and close friends. She doesn't like us calling it a birthday celebration -- no one in our family celebrates birthdays; my dad's was last week and I don't think anyone sent him so much as an email -- and probably won't like me revealing that she's 81 years old, but she doesn't look it. "We'll celebrate her birthday when she truly gets old," my dad said.

Basically, we used the occasion to have a family meal, complete with moutai -- the real stuff.



Reflected off the ceiling




A sampling of our meal:




Down the rows from left to right: Chicken, duck, lamb, fish, pork, fish's head, zucchini (I think) with mushrooms, assorted veggies with meatballs of unknown meat

Happy birthday, Nainai.


POSTSCRIPT: My cousin Zhang Peng and Anqi are married! The wedding will come later, but they officially registered themselves as husband and wife last week in a registration office of some sort for 9 RMB. We toasted them at our lunch, then Zhang Peng proceeded to drink way too much moutai.

No comments: