Monday, September 8, 2008

Pet store in the neighborhood

Just down the street from where I live is a revelation of sorts for me, a pet store owned by a woman whose love of cats (and dogs) far exceeds mine. Walking in can be a challenge for the faint of nosed, as the smell of fur and pheromones can be overwhelming. But get past that and you'll find yourself in a veritable pet paradise -- as far as Beijing is concerned, anyway -- a place inhabited by all breeds -- familiar and exotic -- of cats and dogs. Here, the prisoners truly have taken over the asylum, and the owner doesn't mind. "I do this because I love them," she says without a trace of craziness.

When I first walked in last week, after getting Pi, I met the biggest cat I'd ever seen, a 24-pound white 13-year-old who was truly big-boned (as opposed to fat). I didn't take a picture, but when I visited yesterday with Kevin and Casey -- because Kevin wanted to buy Pi a gift -- I had my camera out and ready. Here's what I got:











The kittens are adorable, right? They go for 2,000-3,000 RMB, which, for China standards, is expensive beyond compare. Of course, the owner doesn't mind if you don't take any. "Those I don't sell I raise myself," she says. Love, indeed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Where do you live? What is the exact address of the pet store?

The Tao said...

This was my old neighborhood in Xidan, before I moved out to Dongzhimen. The exact address of the store is 34 Xihuangchenggen Nanlu (西黄城根南路), but, sadly, I can't say for certain it's still there. I've been meaning to check sometime.

Unknown said...

ok, thank you. can you give me directions on how to get there? a.k.a closest subway what direction to go in etc

The Tao said...

Take the 4 line to "Lingjing Hutong," which should put you at the south end of Xihuangchenggen South St. You'll want to walk north. IF the store is still there -- and again, I'm just not sure -- you won't miss it on your right (east side of the street). Do let me know if it's still there...

Prospective buyer or animal lover?

Unknown said...

potential buyer :) i def. will let you know

Unknown said...

we couldn't find it, so i think it might have shut down :(