Friday, August 22, 2008

Women's volleyball at Capital Gymnasium



Today was hot by any standards but felt even more so because we just had two nights of rain and uncannily cool weather for August. This, of all days, was the day I chose to wear jeans and boots, partly because I wore shorts and flip-flops through rain yesterday and was not very comfortable. To make things worse: I was at Bird's Nest through the morning going on two hours of sleep. Let's just say I'm glad I'm in the comfort of an air-conditioned home right now.

I want to sleep. I want to read. I want to write about the Bird's Nest and women's volleyball. I want to find out what exactly happened with the U.S. track relay teams. I want to catch replays for U.S.-Japan softball and U.S.-Brazil women's soccer, which I missed, or U.S.-Cuba in baseball later this evening, and definitely the basketball games. I want these Olympics to not be ending this Sunday.

Anyway, I was at Capital Gymnasium yesterday -- as I mentioned before -- watching China take on Brazil, the world's No. 1 women's volleyball team. Afterwards I wrote a piece for ESPN The Magazine's website.




Game photos:





And two videos...

Cheerleaders (can you imagine they actually practiced this?):


Fans cheer the team even in defeat:

No comments: